Today is World Mental Health Day! Just like physical health, we all have mental health and need to care for it. It is easy to say we’re OK when we’re not, and to forget to look after our mental wellbeing.
There are a number of simple things we can do to keep mentally well, and the Five Ways to Wellbeing are a great place to start! Here are some of our top tips:
- Take time to chat to a colleague on your lunch break
- Call a relative you haven’t talked to in a while
- Invite a friend over for a brew and a natter
- Go for a walk on your lunch break
- Get off the bus a stop early and walk the rest of the way
- Have a kick-about in the park
- Have a wander in the park and notice the changing autumn colours
- Add a plant to your workspace
- Have a declutter day
- Set up a book club
- Try cooking a new dish
- Research something you’d like to know
- Do a daily act of kindness
- Spend time with someone who might be lonely
- Volunteer for a cause you care about
Insight Healthcare services
The theme of World Mental Health Day this year is ‘Young people and mental health in a changing world’. More than a quarter of students (27%) report having a mental health problem, with anxiety and depression being the most prevalent (YouGov, 2016).
Insight Healthcare, provides free talking therapies across the country, on behalf of the NHS. If you are feeling low, anxious, or stressed (or you know someone who is), you can self-refer online at www.insighthealthcare.org.
Mental Health Concern services
Here are some Mental Health Concern services that you can self-refer to:
- Moving Forward — helping people who have been affected by mental ill-health in Newcastle, Gateshead, and South Tyneside to regain skills, confidence, and self-belief
- Chain Reaction — helping over-55s in Newcastle lead healthier, happier lives
- Lunch Links — giving over-55s in Newcastle opportunities for fun, friendship, and food
- Your Call — free support to help older people to live independently at home
It’s good to talk. Use this World Mental Health Day as an opportunity to get the help you need — we’re here for you.