Salary: £17,051 – £18,620 depending on experience (based on full time hours)
Hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week) or part time available
Contract: Permanent and fixed term opportunities (depending on service need)
Location: Gateshead, Tyne and Wear
About the role
We currently have exciting opportunities for compassionate and committed individuals to join us as Support Workers to assist at our Older People Services. As a Support Worker, you will be passionate about helping to improve the wellbeing of older people living with dementia and other complex mental health needs.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals with good communication and interpersonal skills, plus a genuine desire to work with this client group. The ability to work effectively within a team in order to support our service users to achieve their own recovery goals is essential. Ideally you will have previous experience of working with individuals with complex mental health needs, though this is not essential.
You will be working at one of our Older People Services, either Alderwood (based in Bensham), Briarwood (based in Blaydon) or Pinetree Lodge (based in Low Fell). These 24-hour specialist care units offer two kinds of services for older people; caring for those with dementia, and supportive rehabilitation for those who have other complex mental health problems. Our main focus is getting to know our service user as well as we can, so that we can meet their needs in ways that improve wellbeing. Our buildings are well-equipped to meet the healthcare needs of the people we care for, however we work hard to keep things as homely and relaxed as possible. More information about our Older People Services can be found by visiting http://www.mentalhealthconcern.org/our-services/older-peoples-services/
You will be joining Mental Health Concern, which is a leading NHS and Local Authority commissioned charity that provides a wide range of specialist mental health services, supporting people with mental health problems to live valued lives. As part of the Concern Group, we are primarily based in the North East of England and employ over 275 staff. Established for over 30 years, we are proud to be one of the largest non-statutory providers of mental health services in England. It is our mission to improve the mental health and wellbeing of the people we serve. Our staff are key in delivering this mission, and are committed to the organisations core values which are at the heart of everything we do.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an organisation that has experienced recent growth and continues to seek new opportunities to further strengthen and build upon our excellent reputation.
We would love to hear from you if you:
- Have knowledge and experience of working with people with complex mental health needs
- Are passionate about helping and caring for people with dementia
- Have good social skills and ability to build trusting relationships with the people we care for
- Are able to recognise and maintain appropriate boundaries and awareness of safeguarding issues
We will offer you
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays (rising with length in service) and with the opportunity to purchase more
- A comprehensive induction and ongoing training, development and supervision
- An enhanced pension scheme
- A supportive culture that values work-life balance
- Access to LifeWorks, which provides excellent corporate discounts on shopping, cinema tickets and restaurants
- An Employee Assistance Programme which offers 24/7 financial, legal and personal advice, including free access to counselling where required
- Discounted gym membership
- Family friendly policies including enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Death in Service Insurance
How to apply
- The Job Pack for this role can be downloaded below. This includes the job description and person specification. It is essential you read these documents prior to applying.
- If you would like further information, please call Deborah Smith (Service Manager) on 0191 477 7833 who will be happy to help.
- To apply, please complete the application form contained within the Job Pack and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to Pinetree Lodge, 136 Dryden Road, Low Fell, Gateshead, NE9 5BY
- Please note, all correspondence will be sent to the email address or phone number provided on your application form. To avoid missing our emails, please regularly check your Junk Mail folders.
This advert is open until further notice. Please do not delay your application as we may close without warning if we receive a good quantity of applications.
Interview dates are to be confirmed.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, which we will cover the cost of. Concern Group reserves the right to close the vacancy prior to the closing date if a large volume of applications are received. If you have not heard from us within 6 weeks of applying please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.